Author Topic: oops! another small fire in the campervan  (Read 3254 times)

petefeet

oops! another small fire in the campervan
« on: August 24, 2008, 08:49:54 PM »
Hi folks,

for those of you that dont know me i am pete, and i have a 78 devon, which now, due to my complete inability to stop things from combusting, it  has some rather unfortunate scorch marks :-\

My first venture into the world of fires and explosions came last summer when a bad case of not reading the instructions on a gas can led to an impressive explosion, and even more impressive 10% body coverage in superficial burns. (Superfical burns are the really painful ones!!!) because i had no lips, eyelashes, eyebrows or skin left ,and Having spent 5 hours in hospital and being introduced to plastic surgeons ,and the rather surreal , yet worringly enjoyable world of morphine i was discharged from hospital and vowed never to have a fire in my van again. This was a promise i kept until today!!

having just left portstewart strand there seemed to be an awfull smell of smoke filling the van, because i love my van and it can do no wrong , i convinced myself that it was coming from the clapped out old laguna in front, After a bit, the laguna had turned off and the smell had turned into visible black smoke. it was decided that it was probably best to stop and investigate. strangely the smoke seemed to be coming from the sink, which if you asked me to make a list of possible fire hazards in the van would probably come somewhere near the bottom. I pulled out the fridge an was met with a mass of burnt out wiring and melted terminal blocks. ( see photo).

alarmingly the wire that was on fire ran alongside the gas cylinder and then under the back seat which is where i keep lots of things that would come a lot higher up on my list of possible fire hazards,  Having burnt my hands (again) ripping the flaming melted wire out it was deemed that the worst was over. The fault had been caused by a home made leisure battery wiring system. The fuse box for this contraption is behind the drivers seat and a stray screwdriver had manage to bridge the fuse box and cause the problems.

In order to cellabrate that the van didnt turn to charcol i am having a huge fireworks display, shop bought fireworks are so expensive, so i have made my own, i am sure they will be fine.  You are all invited ;D

Offline ex-2cv-er

• Administrator
  • Resident Beetle Stalker!
    • The Eireball Run
Re: oops! another small fire in the campervan
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 09:09:06 PM »
Holy crap!  :o

Glad to hear your safe, and the van is not toast....but oh my  :o

Hope the burns on your hands aren't too sore  :cheerup
Caroline - North Tipp

This summer I am mostly being a...Crusty Festival Trader :)
Incense etc - Are Ewe Curious?

Offline Purple Haze

• I'm A Laydee
    • Eireball's Twitter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 09:27:24 PM »
Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was such an entertaining read - not that you intended to have people rolling around in stitches, I'm sure!  :D :D :D

We would love to come to your fireworks display  - I know another good fella with fire - are you coming, Kieran?  :camping (the only thing I could find with a fire, sorry!)
Always looking on the bright side of life

UNCLE HERBIE

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 04:59:24 AM »
wow.....   if i was you i would pass on the fire works  :o    anythingto do with fire at all,you should stay away from :sad :sad

Offline kieran

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 08:26:37 AM »
We would love to come to your fireworks display  - I know another good fella with fire - are you coming, Kieran?  :camping (the only thing I could find with a fire, sorry!)

:D LOL

Offline Turlough

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 12:10:10 PM »
Glad to hear you and van are ok

who created the "wiren" ?

Offline binhead

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 06:08:06 PM »
Thats funny man! glad to hear you're not dead though.

I need some wiring done in my van as the fridge won't work, you want to call over with a few sticks of dynamite and a bottle of rum..

petefeet

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 11:17:55 PM »
who created the "wiren" ?

The wiring was a combination of what was already there, and myself spending the whole of a sunday getting cramp lying in awkward positions trying to screw tiny screws into terminal blocks whilst  my wife tells me that i dont know what i am doing and should get " a man " to look at it.
Technically the wiring was ok. it was the fact that the fuse box had no cover that caused the problem. I stand by my good quality workman ship and will happily help anyone re wire there van ;D

fixed the {quote} tags for ye  ;)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 11:02:05 AM by ex-2cv-er »

petefeet

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 11:20:42 PM »
i really am not very good at this computer lark. firstly my picture doesnt work and then the whole of my last post appears in a quote box!!

maybe i should stick to what i am good at. (answers on a post card if anyone knows what that might be !!)

Offline Fi

• I'm A Laydee
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 11:37:54 PM »
Glad to hear you're ok Pete. 

I did feel a little guilty when I was laughing at your first post but glad to see that there's some more evil folk around here who were doing exactly the same thing!!

Offline neil

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 03:04:40 PM »
 :D pete you big twat . Do as Grainne says "get a man " to do it .   LOL    see you soon buddy!