Author Topic: Importing from Oz or America  (Read 4574 times)

mustadrseed

Importing from Oz or America
« on: August 24, 2008, 10:22:00 PM »
Bit naiieve but I was wondering if anyone had imported a campervan from either Oz or Us and if so could you offer advice/guidance to a complete newbie :)

I was wondering what price would be shipping costs?
HOw long do you think it would take?
Would it be worth it?
What paperwork would I need?
What would I have to pay on this side?

I read in another post its
17.5%
then 10% of cost+shipping

Have i got that correct?

THanks from a complete newbie :ninja

Offline Manana

Re: Importing from Oz or America
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 11:30:38 PM »
I would take a look at crazylegs selection unless you already have a good bus secured. hidden risk free (as you can go see the bus), and his customers all seem happy!

Offline trev

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 11:40:37 PM »
and his customers all seem happy!

yeah but you don't hear from the unhappy ones, they get "taken care of" by the welly-boot mafia... ;D

no seriously, there's a lot to be said for touching, feeling, driving your potential purchase. I bought mine in the days before Krazy Kombis, sight unseen over the internet from California. To say my heart was in my mouth for months while waiting for the van to arrive would be an understatement! Thankfully it turned out OK in the end but if I was doint it again I'd be buying locally... :)

Offline Uncle Matt

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 11:07:33 AM »
Heyhey,
I'm currently in the process of bringing one in from America, a relative is sending one over for me, he organised the works  :) but unfortunately I'm going to have to pay the duty when it lands here :( Its taking about 7 weeks for the shipping. I'll let you know how i get on after i clear it...
Einen VW-Transporter muss man haben

mustadrseed

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 02:56:55 PM »
cool thanks for replies.

I found companies in Oz willing to ship for beteen 3200 -3800 dollars not three bad.
BIt I was looking at what is here on offer and a few places have nice stuff here germany and Holland so widening the search as I learn more.

It will be a bit of a while before I get one as OH is going back to college  but I thought I would put the learning process in motion look at different campers go to a few shows see whats out there and what I like whoops what we like ;D.

I know I would like sonething with no too much works as husband doesnt know one end of screwdriver from another so it would be up to me and I learn basics quick but would need good backup somewhere regular to get it serviced etc so here I am.

I would love to get one now but have to wait but sure what is another while on top of 20 OMG :o20 yrs

Offline newbe1kenobi

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 10:27:10 PM »

Offline trev

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 10:46:36 PM »
don't forget the VAT is 21% in Ireland and while the 10% duty is on the invoice cost of the van plus the cost of shipping, the VAT is levied on the total of the invoice cost of the van, the cost of shipping plus the 10% duty. You're paying tax on a tax. Go figure.

There's also charges for opening the container in the port for inspection (presuming it's not RO-RO), charges for moving the container from the port to a handling agent, and charges for unloading it. There's a bunch of stuff you don't hear about when you get the "general picture".  There's also looooooads of red tape to get through. I was lucky at the time of my shipping that I had a job where the boss was often out of the office. It seemed like I was on the phone and fax full time for ages. Not much fun... :(

Afer all that, the VRT is only a few quid on cas older than 30 years. In the grand scheme of things it's small beans. :)

Offline Roger

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 12:33:47 AM »
don't forget the VAT is 21% in Ireland and while the 10% duty is on the invoice cost of the van plus the cost of shipping, the VAT is levied on the total of the invoice cost of the van, the cost of shipping plus the 10% duty. You're paying tax on a tax. Go figure.

There's also charges for opening the container in the port for inspection (presuming it's not RO-RO), charges for moving the container from the port to a handling agent, and charges for unloading it. There's a bunch of stuff you don't hear about when you get the "general picture".  There's also looooooads of red tape to get through. I was lucky at the time of my shipping that I had a job where the boss was often out of the office. It seemed like I was on the phone and fax full time for ages. Not much fun... :(

Afer all that, the VRT is only a few quid on cas older than 30 years. In the grand scheme of things it's small beans. :)

Or buy one from Crazylegs and avoid the paperwork.  He's 9 more on the way at the moment.  He's the only trustworthy importer in the country ;)

Offline martin

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 09:44:33 AM »
Also customs may choose to inspect your container and these guys will inspect same when it suits them (while your container is gathering storage by the day) Also they will not come to the port to inspect but your container has to be loaded on a truck and brought to them and taken back and unloaded.This is all costly stuff that one wouldn't be expecting.

mustadrseed

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 10:14:11 AM »
very true thanks for the heads up. hmmmm
Mind you having had a look at the websites seems to be a lot of great quality campers good value campers in Ireland at the moment. Gosh I wish I could buy now but will have to wait

Offline Beaker

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 10:22:10 AM »

Offline newbe1kenobi

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 05:28:49 PM »
hy beaker
                   dos the 17% in the uk apply to   +30 year old  vans

Offline Beaker

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 06:22:41 PM »
It's the standard VAT rate on any car regardless of age AFAIK.

The duty is where savings can be made - if the car was built in Europe duty would have already been paid on export to US,
so why should it be paid twice?

but that depends on who handles it and where it's imported to....

Offline Roger

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 06:31:41 PM »

issy

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 07:44:38 PM »
IF buying from overseas eg USA

• Make sure you don't pay the buyer too much for the bus before you actually get it! 

Make sure it does not take too long (or even years!)

Don't pay for extra work / accessories in case the work is not as described - you can always get it done nearby so you do not get any nasty surprises

Be careful you do not get misled with import taxes / vat etc

Make sure you get tax / customs  original documents etc etc AFTER you pay the rest of the money not before

Make sure you do not pay for an imported bus in full before you see it!!

Do not be naive and believe what the seller says!

I'd also suggest Crazylegs or doing it 100% yourself without any middle person arranging the sale, resto,  shipping etc etc