Author Topic: Shipping from the US...but it has a Lost Title.  (Read 2264 times)

Offline SirIvor

Shipping from the US...but it has a Lost Title.
« on: August 25, 2008, 07:11:08 PM »
Folks, question for you.

Thinking about importing a project (and I mean a project) from the US.  Trouble is it does not have a title and I was wondering if that would be a problem for the Irish authorities?

Also, would I have to pay duty on it?  Its a 64 bus, no engine and would need a COMPLETE resto...floors etc. 

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

;)

Offline trev

• Global Moderator
Re: Shipping from the US...but it has a Lost Title.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 07:15:12 PM »
I thought they won't let the vehicle leave the country without a title? Unless it could be shipped as "scrap" or "spare parts" and then apply for a fresh registration once it gets here maybe?

Offline martin

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 08:02:32 PM »
No vehicle can be shipped without a title and it very difficult to apply for duplicates when you are not the registered owner. They even insist that the vehicle be insured ! Of course there are ways around these matters but they are expensive ways. Different states in the U.S. have different laws etc on same. try www.getnewtitle.com  You need to be a U.S. resident etc so you need to know someone who will apply for you and also the insurance matter needs to be got around. Theres quite a bit more involved and like i said it can be done but its not cheap so it would want to be something rare to be worth the bother/expense.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 08:47:45 PM by martin »

Offline tony

• Global Moderator
  • "We are Bus people aren't we Daddy"
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 08:15:48 PM »
Cut it in half and throw a can of red paint at it....  Its art ...Sir honest. :D :D
78 Westy
64 panel (project)
64 panel replica kart

http://vwposty.blogspot.ie/

Offline trev

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 09:25:44 PM »
pull the doors off it, windows out, take the wheels off and put it on a trolley. Suddenly it's a parts donor...

Offline SirIvor

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 10:16:26 PM »
Thanks guys.  Luckily I have a good friend there who might be able to help me out on this.

Its a 64 21 window but in poor condition.  Total resto .... but it could be great.  Its in Atlanta GA, and having lived there for a year, they do things differently down south !!!

A call to the DMV tomorrow might shed some light on this title business.....