Author Topic: Newbies introduce yourself!  (Read 171730 times)

Mister

Re: Newbies introduce yourself!
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 09:35:29 AM »
HI I'm Lucy - I'm new here and new to the VW world I got a 1970 Bay 3 months back and he's great, nice to meet you's all

That's a crazy reg number mandi!

Offline Bdub

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 10:50:39 AM »
I changed my name from floinn cos it was stupid  ::) I have a bay thats in the process of being restored

Offline ex-2cv-er

• Administrator
  • Resident Beetle Stalker!
    • The Eireball Run
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 12:46:42 PM »
 Hi :wave

:welcome to the newbies

and :welcome back to the oldies non-newbies :clap  ;D
Caroline - North Tipp

This summer I am mostly being a...Crusty Festival Trader :)
Incense etc - Are Ewe Curious?

Offline Flash!!!

• Global Moderator
  • Aircooled All The Way!!!
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 01:17:58 PM »
Hi I'm Flash!!!, used to be Flash!!! and still am Flash!!!  ;)

Offline ex-2cv-er

• Administrator
    • The Eireball Run
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 02:17:38 PM »
You'll always be Flash!!!  :)
Caroline - North Tipp

Offline busgirl

• I'm A Laydee
  • new owner of 1976 westfalia after 15 years looking
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 05:26:02 PM »
Hi to all

Martin the bus is gorgeous, I hope mine growa up to some thing like that soon ::)

Its great to have the like minded mad vdubbers about. My other half says the only good thing about my camper is it has a cooker to boil the kettle on the side of the road when she breaks down :'( :'( >:(

One day he'll come round to her ;D

Speak soon love Mandi

dougiebegg

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2008, 03:14:57 PM »
Hello, yes I'm a newby, and I always had a beetle or bay camper when I was a young buck, but for the last 15 years I've strayed, and drove boring every day vehicles, that when you look under the bonnet you just scratched your head, and now, Ive been reborn, and want to capture the magic of the VW world with my 4 kids and lovely wife, who insists that the van i get must have 6 seat belts,  is that a tall order or what? If anyone is looking for a good home for a van with 6 belts in good condition, please let me know.

Doug

Offline ex-2cv-er

• Administrator
    • The Eireball Run
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2008, 04:55:46 PM »
 :wave

Hi Doug and :welcome

6 seat belts wouldn't be a tall order....but you may have to consider getting some installed yourself.  Not a big deal, but you won't have a long list if you only go and see buses that already have belts on 6 seats  ;)
From memory, perhaps Mushroom can confirm, my brother's old Westie Joker had lots of seating and many seatbelts (my brother's old bus belonged to Mushroom before him)...Mush were those standard belts or did you put them in?  Either way, that model of Westfalia Joker might be good one to look for...lots of seating, so lots of possiblities for you Doug ;)

You might find the forum a little quiet for the next 8 days or so  :tumbleweed , as many of the active forum members are off on the Eireball Run...But I'm sure people will be more than happy to advise you when they are all back home.

You'll find more info on the Eireball Run in the 'Whats Happening' section....and if you are anywhere near any of our overnight stops do feel free to come along and say  'Hi' :thumbsup
Caroline - North Tipp

Offline rony

• The 4Motion Fairy
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 11:24:38 PM »
should have been nine belts in mine but 6 is fine at the moment

haggis100

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 05:25:46 PM »
 ;) Hi all. I just registered. I'm guessing you'll all consider me a bit of a phillistine as I don't own anything aircooled apart from my ducati monster :).

However I am a VW fanatic and I have a great interest in owning an aircooled 4 wheel machine in the near future. My dream car is a German look beetle with Porsche underpinnings.
I am the current owner of an 01 LHD VW Eurovan - the US version of the T4 Caravelle. I havn't seen one here, since I brought it back from the states in 2005 where I used to live. I've since added to this a 94 T4 Caravelle that was abandoned in a back garden in Crumlin- I've swopped out the seized engine and it's just gone in for new paint  - black stealth mode.... I've made a few mods and will post pics as soon as I have them. The reason for the second van is prractical. We have six kids, 6 boy ,5 girl, twin boys that are 3 and twin girls 3months. Squirming in and out of regular cars is not going to cut it in our gaff.

ON the VW vein of things I have owned and worked on and on and on and on - on a Porsche 944 turbo - which I bought at auction in the states for less than a phone bill...it was on flats and not running when I dragged it home. I'm a regular masochist when it comes to giving myself more work, but thats my gig. The bike will be back up and running shortly as I'm moving back into the city with the job. Will post pics soon. P.S THERE'S A T4 Transporter commercial van AT DUFFYS BREAKERS YARD ON THE LONG MILE ROAD - WITH DIGITAL CLOCKS, IT'S PRETTY MUCH ALL THERE AND NOT IN BAD SHAPE AT ALL FOR SEATS ETC., I PULLED THE TOWBAR AND SOME FOGLIGHTS OFF IT ON THE WEEKEND SO IT SHOULD STILL BE THER IF ANYONE IS LOOKING FOR PARTS.

damianb

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2008, 05:39:25 PM »
Hi,
I have a '73 Bay, green and white with a Westphalia conversion. The bus hangs out in Kerry mostly and has just had a good dose of TLC on its innards (engine, brakes, wiring) and is running very well now. We've had it 3 years now and bought it from a friend up north who owned it for the 13 years previous to that.
I'll pop up a picture when I dig out a good one (and work out how).
dB.

Offline trev

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2008, 06:39:26 PM »
welcome Damian and Haggis! It'll be quiet around here for the rest of the week as a lot of the regulars are otherwise occupied with the Eireball run :)

Haggis, that black stealth T4 sounds good, throw up some pics when you get it home. Take a look at my website for my beetle with Porsche running gear etc...  www.veewrx.com

haggis100

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2008, 10:17:50 PM »
I'd love to have a look  at the beetle, I'm gonna check your link now.. My biggest enemy is time... It's 9.55 or thereabouts and I'm thinking of painting the shed... yeah.

I checked in on the van today, while dropping off a re-wound starter and new battery for the 944. The 944 has had a cosmetic overhaul on the outside at least. I changed all the belts and hoses and a lot of the seals, throttle body, rocker cover gaskets etc., etc but the three year plan is to pull the engine and have a good look inside - possibly replace some of the innards and the cam with fresh stuff. From there the skys the limit - all the way to the divorce court... check out www. lindseyracing.com for a bit of engine eye candy!!! really nice stuff there for porsches of all generations.

ANYWAY - back to the van. I got fibreglass bumpers from Poland on e-bay for it ( I have to point out that I'm not trying to turn this into some sort of plastic iceberg subaru clone van... as I think the bumper change probably gives that impression. This is  (I hope) going to be a very cool understated BLACK VWT4 - black, black black - they're one piece and it looks like I'm going to have to do a bit of frankensteining with the front bumper to get it to fit properly. The U.S van I have is the 2.8 V6 (VR6) narrow angle and has the "long nose" of the t4. This is the one with the slightly more angled headlights and all the creature comforts in side.
 The bumpers I got for the 94 van would fit this "long nose" bang on, but the 94 is the flatter nosed version - more like the commercial van. I don't want to "pimp" the van, but rather go for a subtle look, so I'm having it painted with the same two pack metallic (very subtle) charcoal black Porsche paint that was used on the 944. This is partly because there's some left over and also because it's a nice colour and the metallic with glosscoat will last a long, long time. I don't want to bore you all to tears with the van so I'll just post some "progress" pics over the next few days.

As a byline, I do a sideline in renting commercial units locally and as a result I've let out several commercial units to guys in the motor trade, paint, auto electrical business, meaning I can legitemately mix business and pleasure!. I've a really good guy in the Rathcoole area who has done a lot of work for me on my own bits and pieces and he does a lot of work on VW's/ Audi's and all the other german cars at very keen prices. If anybody wants more information please send me a message and I'll pass on his number and you can take it from there. I'm looking for a set of wheels to set off the T4. I'm thinking a set of polished FUCH's or FUCH's with black centres if I drop the van a bit I think it'll set it off, or a set of Audi A6 5 flat spoke as these would be a bolt straight on job and could be picked up for around 350 ish mark. I'm thinking paint the flat bar spokes or have them poly coated in matt black entirely, or just the spokes and leave the rims polished alloy?? too many choices.... Anyone with other idea's for the wheels/ rubber let me know as I want to do something a little bit different with this. Thanks for listening to my motoring madness. Gotta check your site. Out for now. Haggis.

Offline Blzeedub

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 02:06:03 PM »
Im not really a newbie; was know as Bless-Ye-Bus :ninja as my 77 was first owned by 'the saletian order'... its still 'filler-look' - lots of rust and bog, but has its own little cosy unit that im renting so its getting some love at last...

SAOIRSE4U

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2008, 03:07:48 PM »
Hi my name is caroline and my life has been takin over by  a "78" type 2 bus,
 she is in serious need of tlc, so trying my best to patch her up and mother her.
  first time project so any tips and advice are greatly appricated.
lovin how many ladys are on the site. so happy to of found you all.x